Moving Traditions seeks a dynamic Chicago Director to help embolden Jewish pre-teens and teens to flourish in the greater Chicago area.
The Moving Traditions Chicago Director will promote Moving Traditions’ mission throughout the greater Chicago area, inspiring Jewish community leaders, engaging and soliciting individual donors and institutional funders, leading programmatic engagement and growth, and attracting new supporters to our vision of communal change. The Chicago Director will report to the Chief of Program, work closely with the development team, and collaborate with other members of the national staff as well as with regional directors in other cities. The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit and community organizing skills to build a strong foundation of local funding and program partners.
- Build the case for Moving Traditions’ mission and programs with key communal stakeholders, funders, clergy, educators, and thought leaders.
- Develop and promote a regional vision for Moving Traditions’ work in greater Chicago consistent with our national vision.
- Contribute to the community of practice in Jewish youth professional and Jewish education networks.
- Development and Communications
- Lead Moving Traditions’ regional development efforts in greater Chicago, stewarding relationships, identifying and cultivating prospects, soliciting gifts of all sizes, and meeting annual fundraising goals, in collaboration with national fundraising efforts.
- Work with national staff to build relationships with area federations and foundations; support grant proposal and report writing.
- Coordinate stewardship and educational events to cultivate prospects and educate stakeholders about Moving Traditions’ work.
- Develop relationships with local media outlets to support the growth of Moving Traditions’ brand in the region with the guidance of the national office.
- Recruitment, Retention and Support of Program Partners and Groups
- Oversee the development of relationships with current and potential program partners through networking, research and outreach; ensure that partners understand our educational goals and implement the programs with fidelity to our model.
- Meet annual engagement and retention goals to reach more Jewish pre-teens and teens with our work, grow our partnership base and ensure that partners add and retain programs.
- In consultation with national staff, help to identify and vet professional and lay educators to facilitate the programs.
- Ensure the high quality of groups and group leaders by providing consultation and support to group leaders and supervisors.
- Support piloting and implementation of new programming.
- Analyze local trends and follow local research on Jewish teen life, gender, and Jewish communal work to benefit local and national work, and leverage organization-wide learning and data to benefit work in greater Chicago.
- Represent Moving Traditions at conferences, workshops and networking venues.
- Participate in sharing best practices and programmatic insights with colleagues across the country, including those in parallel roles in other cities.
- Ensure that Salesforce database is up-to-date, to track, report on, and manage development and program functions.
The Moving Traditions Chicago Director will demonstrate each of the following:
- Embrace Moving Traditions’ mission
- Minimum of three years’ experience in fundraising/development, with experience in raising major individual gifts and working with institutional funders
- Experience in Jewish communal service, education, or program planning
- Strong interpersonal communications and relationship building skills, with a record of building and sustaining professional relationships with individuals and within teams
- Ability to work independently and remotely with colleagues, at a fast pace
- Ability to travel throughout the greater Chicago area to meet with donors, program partners, and other constituents
- Ability to occasionally attend and support Moving Traditions educational events, which can occur on Sundays or in the evenings
- Sound judgment in setting, reviewing, and confirming priorities
- Capacity to lead projects, with excellent planning, problem solving, and follow-through
- Strong attention to detail and investment in data quality
- Understanding of gender and gender issues
- Knowledge of Jewish life and a strong Jewish network
- Previous experience with Moving Traditions’ programs is a plus
The Chicago Director Position is a full-time position, offers competitive pay and benefits, and the opportunity to grow. Moving Traditions will also consider candidates with excellent credentials in either building successful fundraising practices or building programmatic engagement for part-time positions. Please indicate via both the application form and your cover letter if you are interested in the full-time role or a part-time role (if so, please indicate interest in programmatic engagement OR fundraising), as well as your minimum hours and salary requirements. A part-time role will also offer competitive pay and the opportunity to grow, with benefits dependent on the number of hours worked.
Established in 2005, Moving Traditions emboldens teens by fostering self-discovery, challenging sexism, and inspiring a commitment to Jewish life and learning. Moving Traditions connects the issues youth care about most—body image, social and academic pressure, friendship, romance, and sexuality—to enduring Jewish values, fosters positive peer-to-peer relationships through our trained educators and mentors, and inspires participants to develop an ongoing connection to Jewish community. By promoting a more inclusive and expansive view of gender and identity for Jewish youth of all genders, we create a more vibrant, engaging Judaism that helps all pre-teens and teens to flourish. To date, Moving Traditions has partnered with more than 400 congregations, JCCs and other Jewish entities across North America. We operate six staffed regions in Boston, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, New York, and Philadelphia.
Moving Traditions is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory, diverse work environment. Moving Traditions does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law in any of its programs or activities.Apply Now
For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.