The Moving Traditions Teen Groups: Helping Jewish Teens Grow
Our Teen Groups—Rosh Hodesh for girls, Shevet for boys, and Tzelem for trans and nonbinary teens—use Jewish teachings and a gender lens to help teens explore the issues they care about most such as body image, social and academic pressure, and friendship, romance, and sexuality. Following our successful models of community groups and online Tzelem groups, we are establishing online groups for Rosh Hodesh and Shevet, targeting under-served communities and communities where there is a smaller number of teens able to participate in a Moving Traditions Teen Group.
Our Teen Groups bring together 8th-12th graders through monthly meetings with a trained adult group leader to learn how to apply socio-emotional learning and Jewish wisdom to deal with the joys and challenges of adolescence.
In our most recent evaluation:
- 85% report that their Moving Traditions group helped them connect to other Jewish teens and to the Jewish community
- 81% learned skills to help tackle challenges/problems when things get hard or stressful
- 80% reported becoming more self-confident
- 79% got to know themselves better
And here is what teens say about our groups:
- “Our group is really supportive of each other, and it’s a place where I can be myself and learn to be a better person.”
- “It is a fun place to chill with my Jewish friends while learning about being a male teen in today’s world.”
If you are interested in an online group, please complete this form.