The Moving Traditions Teen Groups: Helping Jewish Teens Grow
Our Teen Groups—Rosh Hodesh for girls, Shevet for boys, and Tzelem for trans and nonbinary teens—use Jewish teachings and a gender lens to help teens explore the issues they care about most such as body image, social and academic pressure, and friendship, romance, and sexuality.
Our Teen Groups bring together thousands of 8th-12th graders each year through monthly meetings with a trained adult group leader to learn how to apply socio-emotional learning and Jewish wisdom to deal with the joys and challenges of adolescence. In response to the pandemic, many groups are now meeting online and, at the request of participants, are meeting more times per month.
- We partner with Jewish institutions of all affiliations and types in order to address the needs of preteens and teens in their communities.
- In addition to working with partner institutions, we offer community groups in select cities.
- In 2020-21, we are launching online groups for teens around the country.
In our most recent evaluation:
- 85% report that their Moving Traditions group helped them connect to other Jewish teens and to the Jewish community
- 81% learned skills to help tackle challenges/problems when things get hard or stressful
- 80% reported becoming more self-confident
- 79% got to know themselves better
And here is what teens say about our groups:
- “Our group is really supportive of each other, and it’s a place where I can be myself and learn to be a better person.”
- “It is a fun place to chill with my Jewish friends while learning about being a male teen in today’s world.”
To find a partner near you, type the name of your city or zip code in the location bar below.
Our Community Groups in Chicago, Colorado, Los Angeles and Philadelphia, provide families the opportunity for their teens to engage directly with our programming.
Following our successful models of community groups and online Tzelem groups, we are establishing online groups for Rosh Hodesh and Shevet, targeting under-served communities and communities where there is a smaller number of teens able to participate in a Moving Traditions Teen Group. Learn more.
Find a Group Near You