From our “Demystifying Teen Language on Gender” webinar on April 5, 2022—we offer the following resources for parents and educators for understanding teen language on gender: what it represents, and why it matters to teens; and other resources for supporting trans, nonbinary, and gender expansive teens in your lives.
Please note: we are working on the best way to share the chat transcript from this webinar, as so many people requested it.
Blessing of the Children
Download our blessing card, which includes masculine, feminine, and nonbinary language from Moving Traditions’ B-Mitzvah Family Education program.
Questions I Would Like Parents to Ask About Being Gender Expansive
From Tzelem B-Mitzvah Youth Participants
- Why are your pronouns important to you?
- How did you realize that those were your pronouns?
- How does that impact your identity?
- (General care and concern questions) Are you doing okay? Are you really doing okay?
- Do you need help/support? How can I help/support you?
- Is there anything I can do to help make anything easier for you?
- Is there something I should do if someone misgenders/deadnames you?
- Do you have any resources/more information about how I can best support you?
- What are the next steps you are thinking about and how can I help?
- Queerosity: An LGBTQ Guide for High School Educators, by 2020-2021 Kol Koleinu Fellow Laine Schlezinger.
- JQ Helpline: Ally & Parent/Caregiver Resources, provided by the JQ Helpline of JQ International.
- Keshet Advocacy Resource, Keshet’s guide to advocating for LQBTQ+ rights
- Ki Simachteni music video (song in Nonbinary Hebrew by Ben Pagliaro)
- What is “gender affirming care?”
- Stanford University Professor Robert Sapolsky on the neurological and biological basis for a gender spectrum
- Multi-gender Hebrew resources:
- Eight genders in the Talmud
Learn more about Moving Traditions’ Tzelem groups, and to find a group near you.