Through CultureShift, Moving Traditions trains staff who work with Jewish youth at camp and elsewhere about how to navigate gender, healthy boundaries, and more. Over the last decade, Moving Tradition’s CultureShift initiative has helped dozens of summer camps, youth groups, and Israel trip providers – training staff members of all ages how to handle some of the most challenging aspects of gender, sexuality, and power dynamics when working with adolescents.
What sets Moving Traditions approach to these issues apart from others is that we delve into the underlying gender and social codes that influence behavior and we explore how Jewish values on personal spiritual growth (shleimut), inter-personal communication and healthy relationships (hesed), and social change (tzedek) can help all teens to thrive.
Want access to Moving Traditions’ CultureShift trainings and resources?
We envision a world where every staff member working with Jewish youth can:
- Model appropriate touch that is consensual, supportive, playful, comforting, and respectful
- Challenge the use of sexist, homophobic, and transphobic language
- Navigate questions about appropriate and inappropriate dress without shaming others
- Help turn down pressure around crushes, romance, and hook-ups
- Create inclusive communities that support diverse expressions of gender and sexuality
- Communicate organizational policy by articulating the Jewish values that underly the policy
We offer three plug-and-play programs for staff training—with activities, materials, and training scripts. Training units include:
- BOUNDARIES AND CONSENT
- GENDER AND WELLBEING FOR EVERY TEEN
- HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS AND SEXUALITY
Partner with Moving Traditions to train your staff in whatever way works best for you:
- DO-IT-YOURSELF KIT: We’ll train you to train your staff as we share highlights of our program activities, best practices, and facilitation tips.
- ONLINE TRAINING: Choose one of our training units, and we’ll train you and your staff virtually at a time that works for you.
- IN-PERSON TRAINING: Bring a Moving Traditions staffer to your camp to train your staff on these topics (availability dependent on timing and location).
In 2020, Moving Traditions worked with BBYO and JCCA to develop a series of nine staff training videos on issues of inter-personal communication regarding sexism, harassment, consent, and boundary setting, which is just one of the extensive set of staff training tools that we now offer youth serving organizations.
Watch a sample video from CultureShift materials:
Rabbi Daniel Brenner, Moving Traditions’ VP of Education, leads the CultureShift Initiative and he has written extensively on issues of touch (Can We Hug Now?) and sexual assault (Teaching Teens Consent) with a particular focus on the challenges of educating teen boys and male staff. You can read more about the impact of CultureShift in the Jewish Journal, Jewish Exponent, and The Washington Post. Questions? Contact Rabbi Daniel Brenner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your gift to Moving Traditions emboldens Jewish youth to thrive through the pursuit of personal wellbeing (shleimut), caring relationships (hesed), and a Jewish and feminist vision of equity and justice (tzedek).